Out now: Wake Up You! The Rise and Fall of Nigerian Rock, 1972-1977

Now-Again | Apr. 16, 2016 | News | ,

Rock in the wake of war: Our decade long investigation into Nigeria’s rock music scene during the 1970s culminates in the release of two album and books. Vol. 1 out now, exclusive Rappcats pre-sale for Vol. 2 imminent.

Ify Jerry Krusade “Everybody Likes Something Good” (Wake Up You! Vol. 1)

The Western world was in the throes of peace, love, and flower power as Nigeria descended into Civil War in 1967. The rock scene that developed during the following three years of bloodshed and destruction would come to heal the country, propagate the world-wide ideal of the Modern Nigerian, and propel Fela Kuti to stardom after conflict ended in 1970.

Wake Up You! tells the story of this time, pays homage to these now-forgotten musicians and their struggle, and brings to light the funk and psychedelic fury they created as they wrested free of the ravages of the late 1960s and created thrilling, original Nigerian rock music throughout the 1970s.

Wake Up You! is presented in two 100+ page books full of never-seen photos and the story of the best Nigerian rock bands told in vivid detail by musicologist and researcher Uchenna Ikonne (Who Is William Onyeabor?).

Each volume is presented as both a hardbound book with CD in a resealable plastic sleeve, and as a double LP with a soft-cover book included in a custom-made 12″x 12″ book holder.

32 Responses to “Out now: Wake Up You! The Rise and Fall of Nigerian Rock, 1972-1977”

1. Michael says:

Nice!
    Can you please provide tracklist for both releases, please?
    When will both be available for pre-order?

2. and says:

mindblowing!

what a piece of work/art!

3. TYRELL says:

MY FACE JUST MELTED. TOO DOPE!

4. Ify Jerry Krusade’s sample track is solid, raw and rocking. A tough period indeed in Nigeria and the CD/Book series will be absolutely essential for any African music enthusiast. Play guaranteed!

5. Gail says:

Hi

I tried emailing but your mailbox is full. I would like to pre-order this (the LP version). Please can you let me know how much it is and when it will ship?

Thanks!

Gail

6. Egon says:

An exclusive pre-sale is coming sometime in late Feb to mid March, y’all…

7. simon says:

ok’ i’m awake !
    this looks like it’s going to be an amazing release,will be pre ordering for sure – but what are the chances of a couple of beautiful 45’s – also,very happy to see some quality writing to expand on the music and times … top stuff,simon

8. Josef says:

Hi Egon,
    What about the tracklist?
    Thanks

9. Egon says:

Tracklists and format updates coming very soon everyone!

10. Werner Springer says:

Hi .. where can I buy the records? Regards from Germany.

11. Carl LeVan says:

How do I buy this? I am a frequent traveler to Nigeria and I have published widely on Nigeria. I don’t see a link to place an order.

12. Mr. X says:

I found the tracklist:

WAKE UP YOU! VOL. 1 TRACKLISTING:
    1. Formulars Dance Band “Never Never Let Me Down”
    2. The Hygrades “Keep On Moving”
    3. Ify Jerry Krusade “Everybody Likes Something Good”
    4. The Hygrades “In The Jungle (Instrumental)”
    5. The Strangers “Onye Ije”
    6. The Hykkers “Stone The Flower”
    7. The Funkees “Baby I Need You”
    8. Waves “Mother”
    9. Ofo the Black Company “Beautiful Daddy”
    10. War-Head Constriction “Graceful Bird”
    11. The Magnificent Zenians “Ije Udo”
    12. The Apostles “Never Too Late”
    13. Aktion “Groove the Funk”
    14. Wrinkar Experience “Ballad of a Sad Young Woman”
    15. The Founders 15 “I Can’t Be Satisfied”
    16. Tirogo “Float”
    17. Question Mark “Scram Out”
    18. P.R.O. “Tell Me”

WAKE UP YOU! VOL. 2 TRACKLISTING:
    1. Theodore Nemy “Come Back”
    2. The Funkees “Slipping Into Darkness”
    3. The Hykkers “I Want A Break Thru”
    4. The Hygrades “In The Jungle (Vocal)”
    5. Shadow Abraham with Monomono Friends “Babalawo”
    6. Waves “Wake Up You”
    7. War-Head Constriction “Shower Of Stone”
    8. Question Mark “Love”
    9. Action 13 “Set Me Free”
    10. Jay U Experience “Baby Rock”
    11. The Doves “Flying Bird”
    12. Kukumbas “Awa Lani Arawa”
    13. The Believers “Life Will Move”
    14. Tony Grey & the Black 7 “The Feelings”
    15. Ceejebs “Life In Cannan”
    16. The Identicals “Who Made the World”

13. Jahsun says:

Cant Wait!! I love how you guys relate history to music, as it should be. Will definitely want to pre-order!! both Cd and vinyl!! Thanks Egon and Now Again for reminding people that we cannot forget the historical events that influenced the music we love! Respect!

14. Michael says:

Hey Egon,

Got both my Cold Heat and R Marks Never Satisfied and they are both amazing. I’ve been loking forward to Wake Up, You since you announced it. When is the pre-order date? Its Feb 29th, Happy Leap Year, and I NEED to have this LP. After all, Everybody Likes Something Good.
    Thanks in advance.

Michael

15. Buddy says:

Hi Egon,

This looks awesome! Are you guys for sure going to offer a pre sale option? Would be psyched to get this lp. Thanks for this!

16. Rob says:

Just saw this announced as a Record Store Day 2016 Release (4/16/2016). So stoked to pick this up!

17. Rebecah says:

How do I purchase this album right now? Online anywhere? Thank you! Rebecah

18. […] Various Artists Wake Up You! The Rise and Fall of Nigerian Rock, 1972-1977 Vol.1 (NowAgain Records, 2016) more details […]

19. N/A says:

Thank you for the great post! Very fascinating indeed. I’ve been trying to lose fat for the past few months and couldn’t do it, then one morning, I found this site on youtube, HealthDietKing.com. I was quite shaky at the beginning but decided to followed the program. Recently, I was able to lose over 18 kg from it and I feel much better than before. If anyone is intending to lose fat or in the same situation like me before, I suggest using HealthDietKing.

20. Ryan says:

Is Vol.1 still available on vinyl? I don’t see an option to purchase it. If it’s sold out, are there plans to press more copies?

21. Wonderful Site, Preserve the excellent work. With thanks!.

22. Thanks extremely useful. Will certainly share site with my pals

23. Amazing, this is a good web site

24. […] spoke to Eothen Alapatt of Now-Again records and the book’s author Uchenna Ikonne to get an insight into one of the year’s most […]

25. Mike says:

Hi, bought the album.
    Have a download card. How can I use it?
    Thanks!

26. […] have just treated myself to an 18-track album called, Wake Up You! Vol 1: The Rise & Fall Of Nigerian Rock 1972-1977 and I can’t wait for this to brighten my letterbox!  After Monday’s trip into the world […]

27. This is art. Never knew we had such goodness.

28. […] post is brought to you by: * Heron Oblivion – Heron Oblivion * Wake Up You! The Rise and Fall of Nigerian Rock Vol. 1 (1972-1977) * Jenny Hval – Blood […]

29. Markus Bader says:

Hi, awesome music and book. I say book bot books, because despite of the cover it is the same content? Or do I have a misprint?
    Cheers

Markus

30. Markus Bader says:

Just saw parts are the same (the main story) while different bands are featured in the descriptions. Such a great work,highly recommended!