Following their deft handling of musics from Eastern and Northern Africa alongside Western psychedelia, jazz and funk on the Unstraight Ahead album, Karl Hector & The Malcouns combine the previously available only on vinyl tracks from four EP’s – Tamanrasset, Ngugna Yeti Fofa, Coomassi and their latest, Ka Rica Tar – into an album as Krautrock as Afro Beat, as Multi-Culti-Psychedelic as Deep Funk.
Can’t Stand The Pressure is available as a CD that contains the entirety of Ka Rica Tar, and all of the other EP tracks that haven’t come out on CD. And if you missed those limited edition EP’s, don’t trip: we’re issuing a made-to-order set that will contain all four EP’s in their entirety, packaged in a hand silk-screened, chipboard sleeve.
Ka Rica Tar and the Can’t Stand The Pressure CD ship immediately.
Can’t Stand The Pressure 4LP set will be tallied in a month and put into production. Expect your set to ship early March 2016. Anyone who orders the box set will receive a download link for all 4 EP’s shortly after placing their order. We know you don’t want to wait for your funk.
1. Roads Of Otumpa (Vocal) feat. Vovotinha (J. Whitefield, Z. Curulija, T. Myland, N. Greffel)
2. Leealeh (J. Whitefield, B. Schiefer)
3. Ngunga Yeti Fofa feat. Nicolas Tounga (N. Tounga, J. Whitefield)
4. Kingdom Of D´mt (J. Whitefield, J. Schleiermacher)
5. Shangold (T. Myland, Z. Curulija, J. Whitefield)
6. Circles (Z. Curulija)
7. Chess Break (J. Whitefield)
8. Ka Rica-Tar (Z. Curulija)
9. Transition X (J. Whitefield, Z. Curulija)
10. Orange (Z. Curulija, J. Whitefield)
11. The Cave (J. Whitefield)
12. Irtijal feat. Mocine Ramdan (J. Whitefield, B. Baral, Z. Curulija, M. Ramdan)
13. Tamanrasset (J. Whitefield, Z. Curulija, T. Myland)
14. J.B. RIP (J. Whitefield, Z. Curulija, T. Myland)
15. Transition G (Z. Curulija)
16. Can´t Stand The Pressure (B. Baral)
17. M´hammath (Live – T. Myland)
18. Coomassi (Z. Curulija)
19. Dege Dub (J. Whitefield, Z. Curulija)
20. Transition F (J. Whitefield, Z. Curulija, T. Myland)
21. Medium Rare Pt. 1 (B. Baral)
22. The Funk (Happysad – J. Whitefield)
23. Beyond Squares (Z. Curulija)
24. Roads Of Otumpa (Instrumental – J. Whitefield, Z. Curulija, T. Myland)
Produced By: JJ Whitefield/Zdenko Curulija/Bo Baral/Thomas Myland
Executive Producer: JJ Whitefield
Mastered by Dave Cooley and Kelly Hibbert for Elysian Masters.
Artwork by Jason Jagel. Art direction by Errol Richardson.
CD, 4LP (W/ Different Tracklist). 2015. NA5137
Comments Off on Karl Hector & The Malcouns – Can’t Stand The Pressure
A1 Kingdom Of D´mt (J. Whitefield, J. Schleiermacher)
A2 Leealeh (J. Whitefield, B. Schiefer)
A3 Transition X (J. Whitefield, Z. Curulija)
A4 Shangold (J. Whitefield, Z. Curulija, T. Myland)
A5 Ka Rica-Tar (Z. Curulija)
B1 Transition F (J. Whitefield, Z. Curulija, T. Myland)
B2 Dege Dub (J. Whitefield, Z. Curulija)
B3 Transition G (Z. Curulija)
B4 The Funk (Happysad) (J. Whitefield)
B5 Orange (J. Whitefield, Z. Curulija)
Produced by: Whitefield/Curulija
Executive Producer: JJ Whitefield
LP. 2015. NA5133
Comments Off on Karl Hector & The Malcouns – Ka-Rica-Tar
Long out of print, Karl Hector’s Afrodelic debut LP out again on vinyl, with a bonus 7″ containing two new songs. Available at Rappcats now!
Karl Hector & The Malcouns’ debut album Sahara Swing was out of print on vinyl for about a year and a half leading up to our issue of their sophomore album, Unstraight Ahead. We couldn’t stand to part with the dog-eared copies we still had at the office, and felt bad every time we saw a dealer get $40 for a copy on Discogs. So we decided to repress – and the band added two new tracks, both vocal and instrumental versions of “Roads of Otumpa,” as a bonus 7″.
They will only be available as part of this LP reissue, which comes with a download card, and as a digital exclusive to our subscribers at Now-Again Deluxe at Drip.fm. Stream the vocal version at our Soundcloud, now.
A note to those who purchased the first version of this album: if you send us proof of your purchase to email@example.com we will email you a download link to the entire album and the bonus 7″.
Out now – the long awaited second album by the originators of Afrodelic Kraut Funk – brand new excursions into another world of sound feat. members of Poets of Rhythm and Whitefield Brothers. Eco-wallet CD and digital album available immediately; LP preorder at our Rappcats store!
As we told you when we announced Unstraight Ahead, this album finds Karl Hector and his cohorts exploring territories even outside of the expansive scope of their debut album Sahara Swing. On this album, the West African sounds of Ghana and Mali meet the East African sounds of Mulatu Astatke’s Ethiopian jazz and are tied together with the groove heavy experimentalism of The Malcouns’ 70s Krautrock godfathers: Can, of course, but also more obscure and equally adventurous groups like Agitation Free, Ibliss and Tomorrow’s Gift.