Buy it here
Ghanaian Afro-Rock from German producer/composer JJ Whitefield, inspired by his Karl Hector & The Malcouns and Whitefield Brothers projects.
Fans of Zamrock, Ebo Taylor, Khruangbin and William Onyeabor will find joy in Johnny!’s hypnotic grooves, which point at a new direction for the music inspired by the Great Continent: one that takes a direction once mocked as derivative and asserts its importance on the globe’s current musical stage.
1. Otan Nyen Eduro (Henry Taylor, J. Whitefield)
2. I’m Gone (Eric Owusu, J. Whitefield)
3. Only Love (Odo Nkwa) (Henry Taylor, J. Whitefield)
4. Yendi Agoro (Henry Taylor, J. Whitefield)
5. Me Di3 Ne Wo (You Belong To Me) (Hernry Taylor, Eric Owusu, J. Whitefield)
6. Agyenkwa (Henry Taylor, J. Whitefield)
7. Make It Right (Eric Owusu, J Whitefield)
8. Kokoko (Henry Taylor, J. Whitefield)
9. Otan Nyen Eduro Instrumental (J. Whitefield)
Johnny! is: Henry Taylor – Vocals, Keys; Eric Owusu – Vocals, Percussion; Tomi Simatupang – Bass, Keys; Bernd Oezsevim – Drums; JJ Whitefield – Guitar, Keys
Recorded by Kalle Enkelmann at Lakeside, Berlin; Jan Krause at Mastermix, Munich; Daniel Nentwig at Butterama, Berlin; Sonny Groeneveld at Greenfield, Amsterdam; Szabolcs Bognar at Groove Garden, Berlin; Tobi Siegert at Minga, Munich.
Mixed by Whitefield/Krause/Hiltmeyer
Mastered by Jason Bitner
Artwork by: Lucien Lietz
Art direction by Errol Richardson
Produced by JJ Whitefield
LP, CD, Digital. 2021. NA5221.